Kharkiv National Medical University is an integral part of the scientific, intellectual and cultural history of the country, one of the oldest medical establishments of Ukraine, a member of the International Association of Universities. Being founded in 1805, it has acquired invaluable experience in training doctors and is a leader of medical education in the country. Since 1951, university has become one of pioneers in training medical personnel for different countries of the world. During this period our educational establishment has graduated over 7,000 specialists for 120 countries of Asia, Africa, Latin America and Middle East. Graduates of Kharkiv National Medical University work in all parts of the world; they return health, and often even life, to people, therewith creating a good reputation for their alma mater.
Our University will help you to become a high-level specialist and will provide with facilities for your further professional progress and career. We hope that the education, which you will receive at our University, is only the first step on the way of your life achievements, therefore we believe, that our further professional cooperation will be fruitful and long-lasting.
The history of the higher medical school in Kharkiv is more than 200 years long and closelyconnected with the history of V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, because it sprang from itsMedical Faculty. The University was founded in 1805, a decree about its foundation was signed bythe Russian Tsar Alexander I, and the first Statutes of the University were approved at that time
In the XIX century, widely known doctors and scientists taught at the Medical Faculty of the University and worked in practical medicine. It was them who, for the first time in the Russian Empire, performed operations of ovariotomy, total resection of the stomach, operations on the open heart, as well as made significant scientific discoveries. In 1887, a special building was erected for the anatomical theatre of the Medical Faculty (now it houses the Department of Human Anatomy of our higher school); in 1896, four independent University clinics were built, namely: therapeutic, surgical, obstetrical and ophthalmological.
In 1910, the Kharkov Medical Society, which was created on the initiative of professors of the Medical faculty, founded the Women’s Medical Institute, where higher education was given to women.
In 1920 the Medical Faculty of Kharkov University was united with the Women’s Medical Institute, and Kharkov Medical Academy was founded; one year later the latter was given another name: Kharkov Medical Institute. Among its teachers there were a lot of outstanding pedagogues and scientists; streets of the City of Kharkov were named after some of them. These are: physiologist Danilevsky V.Ya., surgeon Trinkler N.P., anatomist Vorobyov V.P., ophthalmologist Girschman L.L., therapeutist Frankovsky V.A.
Many research institutes, hospitals and clinics were founded on initiatives of lecturers of KhNMU. These are, in particular, the Institute of General and Emergency Surgery, Malaya Institute of Therapy, Shapoval Regional Clinical Centre of Urology and Nephrology, etc. They became the basis for scientific and medical work of our University Departments in these fields.
In 1951, the University started training of foreign students. By now, the University has trained more than 3,600 specialists for different countries of the world.
In 1994, by a Decision of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, Kharkov Medical Institute served as the basis for founding Kharkiv State Medical University; the latter received the highest 4th category by results of its accreditation and fully justifies it today. In 2007 our University received the National status.
Faculty of Post Graduate Education:
Accommodation for the foreign students is provided by student hostels rated at 2,422 lodgers. In order to live at a hostel, the students must conclude a proper contract. This accommodation is available for the whole period of training. Hostel fees depend upon the size and comfort of the dwelling space.
The University Scientific-Practical Medical Centre provides medical care of students. The students regularly undergo prophylactic medical and photofluorographic examinations.
The students have meals at 2 canteens for 160 clients and 6 refreshment bars for 80 clients.
The students are provided with facilities for going in for sports. The University has 3 gymnasia (for games, gymnastics and heavy athletics).