The Donetsk Research Institute of Traumatology and Orthopedics was established in 1956. The Institute was established as an organizational and methodological center of the orthopedic and traumatological service with the task of bringing highly skilled orthopedic and trauma care to the population. The main goal of the institute is the comprehensive development of medical science in the field of traumatology, orthopedics and prosthetics, conducting experimental scientific researches in this field using the scientific achievements in order to improve public health.
Since the first day of the institute work, there was a need to unite the institute and the hospital, which made it possible to create a single institution with the common goals and objectives. This played a positive role in the further development of the Institute as a center of organizational, methodological, research, treatment and advisory work in traumatology and orthopedic sphere. Long-term experience of joint work of the Institute and the regional trauma hospital showed the expediency and rationality of creating such a single institution.
In the structure of the Institute there are clinical, experimental-laboratory and organizational-methodical departments. The clinical department includes orthopedics and traumatology clinics for adults and children, reconstructive surgery and prosthetics, neurotrauma, eye trauma, bone-joint tuberculosis, radiology department, consultative-polyclinic department and the department of urgent services. In different years, the structure of the institute developed and improved and new departments were formed: microsurgery of wrist, anesthesiology, etc. The experimental department included laboratories of physiology and biomechanics of the musculoskeletal system, pathophysiology, bacteriological, biochemical, clinical, pathohystological laboratory and tissue preservation laboratory. In addition, there were a number of auxiliary units – a scientific library, a vivarium, a film microphotograph laboratory, experimental workshops with a design bureau, a scientific archive and a museum. Research work is conducted in the direction of studying a single problem – trauma, traumatism and orthopedic diseases.
As a result of research on organizational issues, the basic principles of organization of polyclinic orthopedic and trauma care for urban and rural populations have been determined. The experience of a specialized disability evaluation board is generalized. On the basis of a mass survey of the children’s population, contingents are identified that we need systematic polyclinic treatment. These data formed the basis for the creation of boarding schools for patients with scoliosis and children with consequences of poliomyelitis. A certain attention was paid for improving the organization of medical care and transportation of orthopedic trauma patients at various stages. As an example of the effectiveness of the studies carried out in this direction, the following indicators can be given: improvement of the organization of first aid to miners at the site of injuries and, in particular, the introduction of the proposed band-aid bandages and other measures led to a 1.5-fold decrease in the number of days of disability of affected miners; dynamic dispensary observation of disabled people, conducted by the regional specialized traumatological disability evaluation board, allowed 39.7% of the disabled 2 groups to transfer to the disabled 3 groups, recognize 44.4% of the disabled 2 groups and 91.5% of the disabled 3 groups as able-bodied. Proposed measures for the rational employment of victims only according to the observations made allowed to save 5,500 working days.
The analysis of injuries, as well as the study of the process of production and working conditions at coal industry enterprises, clarified the causes and characteristics of various types of industrial injuries among miners, depending on the level of mechanization, mining and geological features of the mine and other factors. Systematic study of these issues made possible a number of valuable concrete proposals, In particular, in the studied groups of mines, where scientifically-based preventive measures were introduced, the frequency of accidents decreased by 2.5 times; the introduction of a complex of preventive and improved rehabilitation measures contributed to a 4-fold reduction in injuries in cases and more than 2 times in days; the introduction of a number of preventive measures in the transportation of goods and movement of people in mines contributed to a reduction in injuries at the relevant sites by 2-3 times in cases and in 1.5-1.7 days. The methods of diagnostics and treatment of injuries of various localization and character were constantly improved: combined trauma of the chest, pelvis, trauma of the vessels of the limbs, craniocerebral trauma in combination with fractures of the bones. Scientific research in this plan resulted the completion of doctoral and candidate dissertations, monographs, and methodological materials.
By the Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine No. 252 of 09.08.1996 the institute became a structural unit of the Donetsk National Medical University with the subsequent creation of a scientific and practical association with the Donetsk Regional Trauma Hospital. Since 01.01.2000, 80 beds with the appropriate staffing table have been introduced into the structure of the Institute (Order No. 277 of 25.11.1999).
The main activities of the Institute are:
– Development of theoretical bases, practical recommendations for the treatment of traumatic illness caused by severe mechanical trauma;
– Development of scientific bases for the organization of specialized care for severe multiple, combined injuries and improvement of methods for their treatment in miners, metallurgists, builders and other categories of workers;
– Study of the influence of harmful factors of the production and the environment on the occurrence and course of diseases of the musculoskeletal system in the adult and child population;
– Development of organ-preserving orthopedic situations in case of tumor lesion of bones;
– Development of minimally invasive osteosynthesis techniques for intraarticular injuries;
– Training of students, advanced training of doctors and nurses in traumatology and orthopedics and medicine of catastrophes;
– Development of new methods of treatment of injuries and diseases of the musculoskeletal system, their introduction into the practice of health care.
The Institute solves the following tasks:
– Planning and implementation of fundamental, applied and exploratory research in the field of traumatology, orthopedics and disaster medicine in accordance with the main directions of scientific activity of the Institute and the introduction of research results into healthcare practice;
– Planning, preparation and issuance of methodological recommendations, instructions, information letters and other instructive and methodological documents aimed at improving the organization of increasing the effectiveness and quality of medical and preventive care for the population in trauma and diseases of the musculoskeletal system;
– Participation in the planning, organization and holding of congresses, scientific, scientific and practical conferences, seminars on the provision of qualified care for combined and multiple injuries;
– Training the scientific personnel;
– Study the achievements of the domestic and foreign experience of medical science in the field of traumatology and orthopedics, the development of proposals for their practical use in the departments of the institute and the introduction of scientific and medical institutions into practice;
– Timely informing doctors and other medical personnel of interested services, as well as the public about the latest achievements in traumatology and orthopedics;
– Rendering round-the-clock specialized help to the population of the region in case of severe, multiple and combined damages;
– Provision of organizational and methodological assistance to bodies of practical public health in improving the effectiveness and quality of medical and preventive care for trauma and diseases of the musculoskeletal system;
– Development and introduction of new methods of treatment of injuries and diseases of the musculoskeletal system in the work of trauma departments;
– Training of highly qualified specialists in orthopedic traumatology;
– Reduction in the number of complications and disabilities from injuries and diseases of the musculoskeletal system;
– Study, analysis and development of recommendations for using in practical public health of the field of best practices in traumatology and orthopedics;
– Dissemination of the Institute’s achievements in Ukraine, as well as beyond its borders;
– Conclusion of agreements on scientific and practical cooperation, including on the provision of medical and preventive care, with scientific and medical institutions and organizations of the region, Ukraine and other states.
– Exchange of scientific personnel and establishment of other forms of communication with foreign scientific organizations, associations, clinics, firms, enterprises, as well as individuals. The first in Ukraine department of informatics and telemedicine was created at the Institute.
Specialists of our institute remotely advised patients from Russia, Kazakhstan, Kirghizia, Germany, Spain, Cyprus, Croatia, India, including assistance in the mass receipt of victims after the earthquake. For the first time in Ukraine, telemedicine has been introduced into the everyday medical and diagnostic process. In total there are 320 employees in the institute, including 58 scientific, 12 of them are doctors, 24 candidates of sciences, 95 doctors. All of them have modern methods of diagnosis and treatment of orthopedic and traumatological patients.